Re: [9.2devel] why it doesn't do index scan only?

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: [9.2devel] why it doesn't do index scan only?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 9 October 2011 18:38, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/9 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:

>>> Are you sure you've remembered to vacuum the test table?  I get results
>>> like yours (ie, no speed benefit for index-only scan) if the table
>>> doesn't have its visibility-map bits set.
>>
>> it should be - I didn't do VACUUM
>>

> yes, After VACUUM I got a significantly better times - index only scan
> is about 5-6x better

Something that I was expecting the planner to do with this patch,
which it doesn't, is pull in the index for queries like:

SELECT count(*) from my_table;

or

SELECT sum(indexed_column) from my_table;

I don't see why a non-partial index can't fulfill these queries.  I
can only get index-only scans with WHERE conditions.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company