copy from performance on large tables with indexes

От Marc Mamin
Тема copy from performance on large tables with indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Hello,

Postgres: 8.2
os: Linux 4CPU, 4 GB RAM, Raid 1, 32 bit system
work_mem: 600 Mb

I have some tables which may become quite large (currently up to 6 Gb) .
I initially fill them using copy from (files) .

The import is fast enough as I only have a primary key on the table:  about 18 minutes
(over 300 Mb/minute)

Then I need 5 additional indexes on it. Creation time: 30 minutes

subsequently I compute some aggregations which need 4 hours and 30 minutes additional time

And now the problem:

If I get additional data for the table, the import become much more slower due to the indexes (about 30 times slower !):

The performance degradation  is probably  due to the fact that all indexs are too large to be kept in memory.
Moreover I guess that the indexes fill factors are too high (90%)

During this second import, I have about 20% iowait time.

The usual solution is to drop the indexes before the second import and rebuild them afterwards, but I feel unconfident doing this as I don't know how the system will react if some SELECT statements occures when the index are missing. I can hardly avoid this.

So my idea for the second import process:

1) make a copy of the table:

   create table B as select * from table A;
   alter table B add constraint B_pk primary key (id);

2) import the new data in table B

   copy B from file;

3) create the required indexes on B

   create index Bix_1 on B..
   create index Bix_2 on B..
   create index Bix_2 on B..
   create index Bix_2 on B..

4) replace table A with table B

   alter table A renam to A_trash;
   alter table B renam to A;
   drop table A_trash;

 (and rename the indexes to get the  original state)

 This seems to work but with side effects:

 The only objects that refer to the tables are functions and indexes.

If a function is called within a same session before and after the table renaming, the second attempt fails (or use the table A_trash if it still exists). So I should close the session and start a new one before further processing. Errors in other live sessions are acceptable, but maybe you know a way to avoid them?)

And now a few questions :-)

- do you see any issue that prevent this workflow to work?

- is there any other side effect to take care of ?

- what is the maximum acceptable value for the parameter work_mem for my configuration
  (see the complete configuration below)

- has anybody built a similar workflow ?

- could this be a feature request to extend the capabilities of copy from ?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Marc Mamin