Re: shmget fails on OS X with proper settings

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: shmget fails on OS X with proper settings
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On May 7, 2007, at 6:19 AM, Christopher S Martin wrote:
> No .pid files found in the data directory.
> The ipcs output doesn't list anything owned by the postgres user,
> or by root.

I'm guessing the issue here is shmall, which I believe is limiting
you to 4MB of shared memory. Is there *anything* using shared memory
in the ipcs report?

shmmax shouldn't be at fault; based on your error message PostgreSQL
is requesting less than shmmax.

Yes, if you boot verbosely it's normal to see all the shared memory
settings 'being set twice'. /etc/rc first runs through everything in /
etc/sysctl.conf, then it sets shared memory settings to defaults. The
reason that 'works' is that the kernel locks in all the shared memory
settings after the last one is set. That's why you have to put *all*
of the shm settings in sysctl.conf; if you don't then the sysctl
command in /etc/rc overwrites anything you set.