Request for information about starting a local user group in Brisbane, Australia

От Gary Evans
Тема Request for information about starting a local user group in Brisbane, Australia
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Having used PostgreSQL at work for several months now,  I've been looking for a local user group or club that provides support to its members.

I know staff at a couple of other companies locally that use PostgreSQL and local attendees to the recent PyCon Brisbane seem to indicate several hobby/enthusiast users of PostgreSQL in the greater area.  As a local user group doesn't appear to exist in Brisbane at present, one of my peers and I would like to start one up.

So far:
- We have started putting together some presentations and talking to some members of the Sydney user group about providing some initial content to get things up and running.

- We have access to the large meeting rooms at my workplace (centrally located in Brisbane) to run the meetings, work will even provide some light refreshments for meetings (Pizza, coffee etc).

- We're looking at using meetup.com to host the group website.

- The general format of meetings I envisage at this stage include presentations/demos, discussions around PostgreSQL news/releases, talk about OSS one might stack with PostgreSQL, Questions/problems/issues with/about PostgreSQL and general informal chat with refreshments.

I would like to know what I need to do from a PostgreSQL community perspective about the requirements I need to fulfil before advertising and officially starting a new user group?

Any suggestions in terms of what works well and what doesn't at other user group meetings, flyers advertising meetings etc would also be welcome.

Thanks and kind regards
Gary