Fwd: large objects

От Pascal Cloup
Тема Fwd: large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
At beginning that's what i thought, but leaving such data outside database creates other problems: accessibility, authorization, backup,...

If postgresql supplies some methods for large objects, i suppose that it has an adequate storage strategy, no?
I have mixed things when i spoke on OIDS (?), in fact i thought on TOAST.

regards
Pascal

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 03:33:52PM +0200, Pascal Cloup wrote:
> - use the option WITH OIDS during CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE

WITH OIDS is in no way related to storing large blobs in tables, and
generally shouldn't be used.

> Is it a good idea to store such large objects in DB? and if so, what is the
> best choice?

In majority of cases, I would say that, storing binary blobs in database
is bad idea. Waste of resources. It's better store them on filesystem,
and in DB just store path to the file.

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                                                             http://depesz.com/