Re: PG 9.3 materialized view VS Views, indexes, shared memory

От Nicolas Paris
Тема Re: PG 9.3 materialized view VS Views, indexes, shared memory
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
NULL values do not take place if only one other column are null for that row.
Boolean takes 1 byte wheras smallint 2bytes.
Then the space problem is not anymore a problem with boolean columns 95% empty

One thing that is really great with postgresql is transaction for drop table cascade, that allow te restore all stuf index, views on a rollback if problem in loading appears.
I hope using one transaction to drop/load many table is not a performance issue ?

Nicolas PARIS

Thanks Jim,

My suggestion is to test using nothing but plain views and plain indexes on the base table
Actualy the way I choose subset rows for views is complicated in terms of query. Then using simple views without partial indexes is terrible in terms of performance (I have tested that).

You mean the materialized views, right?
​Well I have tested matviews, views without partial indexes, views with hashjoin on a key, ..

I think you'll ultimately be unhappy trying to go down this route, for the reasons you mention, plus the very large amount of extra space you'll be using. 800 booleans is 800 extra bytes for every row in your fact table. That's a lot. Even if you used a bitmap instead (which means you have to mess around with tracking which bit means what and probably other problems as well) you're still looking at 100 bytes per row. That's nothing to sneeze at.

​Since each subset is about 5% (this number is decreasing when number of views increase) of the fact table, most boolean rows are null. This means 5% of 800 extra bytes, right ? I have choosen smallint, because of bulk load decrease csv size (true VS 1).

For the views that are too slow, look at what the expensive part of the view and materialize *only that*.
It would be great if I could, but all will be automatic, then It will be difficult to apply such rules that demands human analyse, and manual database modification, for one subset

Hope I have well anderstand you

Nicolas PARIS