Re: range bug in resolve_generic_type?

От Paul A Jungwirth
Тема Re: range bug in resolve_generic_type?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:52 AM Paul A Jungwirth
<pj@illuminatedcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 8:23 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I seem to recall that we discussed this exact point during development
> > of the range feature, and concluded that this was the behavior we
> > wanted, ie, treat anyrange like a scalar for this purpose.  Otherwise
> > there isn't any way to use a polymorphic function to build an array
> > of ranges

One more thing about this: The docs only say that elemOf(anyrange) =
anyelement and elemOf(anyarray) = anyelement. I already added
anymultirange to that page, so here is what I have (from my
forthcoming patch). It also includes anyrangearray. I thought it might
be useful here to clarify how we could support polymorphic
arrays-of-ranges going forward, while avoiding any contradictions:

    <para>
     Seven pseudo-types of special interest are <type>anyelement</type>,
     <type>anyrangearray</type>.
     which are collectively called <firstterm>polymorphic types</firstterm>.
     Any function declared using these types is said to be
     a <firstterm>polymorphic function</firstterm>.  A polymorphic function can
     operate on many different data types, with the specific data type(s)
     being determined by the data types actually passed to it in a particular
     call.
    </para>

    <para>
     Polymorphic arguments and results are tied to each other and are resolved
     to a specific data type when a query calling a polymorphic function is
     parsed.  Each position (either argument or return value) declared as
     <type>anyelement</type> is allowed to have any specific actual
     data type, but in any given call they must all be the
     <emphasis>same</emphasis> actual type. Each
     position declared as <type>anyarray</type> can have any array data type,
     but similarly they must all be the same type.  And similarly,
     positions declared as <type>anyrange</type> must all be the same range
     type.  Likewise for <type>anymultirange</type> and
<type>anyrangearray</type>.
    </para>

    <para>
     Furthermore, if there are
     positions declared <type>anyarray</type> and others declared
     <type>anyelement</type>, the actual array type in the
     <type>anyarray</type> positions must be an array whose elements are
     the same type appearing in the <type>anyelement</type> positions.
     <type>anynonarray</type> is treated exactly the same as
<type>anyelement</type>,
     but adds the additional constraint that the actual type must not be
     an array type.
     <type>anyenum</type> is treated exactly the same as
<type>anyelement</type>,
     but adds the additional constraint that the actual type must
     be an enum type.
    </para>

    <para>
     Similarly, if there are positions declared <type>anyrange</type>
     and others declared <type>anyelement</type>, the actual range type in
     the <type>anyrange</type> positions must be a range whose subtype is
     the same type appearing in the <type>anyelement</type> positions.
     a multirange or array of any range type, respectively.
     If they appear along with an <type>anyrange</type> then they must be a
     multirange/array of that range type.
     If a function has both <type>anymultirange</type> and
     <type>anyrangearray</type>, they must contain ranges of the same type,
     even if there is no <type>anyrange</type> parameter.
    </para>

    <para>
     Thus, when more than one argument position is declared with a polymorphic
     type, the net effect is that only certain combinations of actual argument
     types are allowed.  For example, a function declared as
     <literal>equal(anyelement, anyelement)</literal> will take any
two input values,
     so long as they are of the same data type.
    </para>

I hope that helps!

Yours,
Paul