A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?

От Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Тема A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?
Дата
Re: A 154 GB table swelled to 527 GB on the Slony slave. How to compact it?  (Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>)
Список pgsql-general
 We're replicating a PostgreSQL 8.4.x database using Slony1-1.2.x

 The origin database "data/base" directory is 197 GB in size.

 The slave database "data/base" directory is 562 GB in size and is
 over 75% filesystem utilization which has set off the "disk free" siren.

 My biggest table* measures 154 GB on the origin, and 533 GB on
 the slave.  (*As reported by

 SELECT relname as "Table", pg_size_pretty(pg_total_relation_size(relid))
   As "Size" from pg_catalog.pg_statio_user_tables
   ORDER BY pg_total_relation_size(relid) DESC;
 )

 I took a peek at this table on the slave using pgadmin3. The table
 has auto-vacuum enabled, and TOAST autovacuum enabled.

 There are 8.6 million live tuples, and 1.5 million dead tuples.

 Last autovacuum was over a month ago.

 Last autoanalyze was 3 hours ago.

 Table size is 4 Gigs, and TOAST table size is 527 Gigs.
 Indexes size is 3 Gigs.

 Autovacuum threshold is 20%, and the table is just under that threshold.

 I ran vacuum analyze verbose.  But the filesystem is still at 76%
utilization.
 In fact, now, the "data/base" directory has grown to 565 GB.

 Why is my slave bigger than my master?  How can I compact it, please?

Best,
Aleksey