Re: initdb - creating clusters

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: initdb - creating clusters
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:05 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> I took the liberty of adding the proposed patch upthread to the next commitfest
> to make sure it's not forgotten about, as I do think it will improve the docs.

+  The discussions in this chapter assume that you are working with
+  an unmodified version of <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>,
+  for example one that you built from source according to the directions
+  in the preceding chapters.  If you are working with a pre-packaged

Rather than "unmodified", would it be better to say something more
like  "without any extra supporting infrastructure"?

My point is that packagers don't typically *modify* PG, rather they
supply a bunch of wrappers (eg Debian postgresql-common), service
management scripting (eg systemd gloopity-gloop), post-install
scripting (eg Debian's policy of automatically starting any service
when you install it, implying that it must also run initdb for you).