Re: Potential stack overflow in incremental base backup

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Potential stack overflow in incremental base backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 6:53 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I think that's really only necessary if we're actually going to
> get rid of the idea of segmented relations altogether, which I don't
> think is happening at least for v17, and maybe not ever.

Yeah, I consider the feedback on ext4's size limitations to have
completely killed the idea of getting rid of segments for the
foreseeable future, at least in standard md.c (though who knows what
people will do with pluggable smgr?).  As for initdb --rel-segsize (CF
#4305) for md.c, I abandoned plans to do that for 17 because I
couldn't see what to do about this issue.  Incremental backup
effectively relies on smaller segments, by using them as
problem-dividing granularity for checksumming and memory usage.
That'll take some research...