Re: sys_siglist[] is causing us trouble again

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: sys_siglist[] is causing us trouble again
Дата
Re: sys_siglist[] is causing us trouble again  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 10:48 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We haven't changed anything, ergo something changed at the OS level.
>
> Oddly, we'd not get to this code unless configure set
> HAVE_DECL_SYS_SIGLIST, so it's defined *somewhere*.  I suspect the root
> issue here is some rearrangement of system header files combined with
> wait_error.c (and maybe other places?) not including exactly the same
> headers that configure tested.

It looks like glibc very recently decided[1] to hide the declaration,
but we're using a cached configure test result.  I guess rawhide is
the RH thing that tracks the bleeding edge?

> Anyway, rather than installing rawhide and trying to debug this,
> I'd like to make a modest proposal: let's back-patch the v12
> patches that made us stop relying on sys_siglist[], viz a73d08319
> and cc92cca43.  Per the discussions that led to those patches,
> it's been decades since any platform didn't have POSIX-compliant
> strsignal(), so we'd be much better off relying on that.

Seems sensible.  Despite the claims of the glibc manual[2], it's not
really a GNU extension, and the BSDs have it (for decades).

[1] https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=b1ccfc061feee9ce616444ded8e1cd5acf9fa97f
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Signal-Messages.html

Сообщение: Re: sys_siglist[] is causing us trouble again
Сообщение: Re: sys_siglist[] is causing us trouble again