Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 3:55 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 03:59:52PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Okay, I am outnumbered, and that would mean bumping MIN_WINNT to
> > 0x0A00.  So, ready to move to this version at full speed for 16?  We
> > still have a couple of weeks ahead before the next dev cycle begins,
> > so feel free to comment, of course.
>
> And attached is an updated patch to do exactly that.

    <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> can be expected to work on
these operating
-   systems: Linux (all recent distributions), Windows (XP and later),
+   systems: Linux (all recent distributions), Windows (10 and later),
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, macOS, AIX, HP/UX, and Solaris.

Cool.  (I'm not sure what "all recent distributions" contributes but
that's not from your patch...).

The Cygwin stuff in installation.sgml also mentions NT, 2000, XP, but
it's not clear from the phrasing if it meant "and later" or "and
earlier", so I'm not sure if it needs adjusting or removing...

While looking for more stuff to vacuum, I found this:

  <title>Special Considerations for 64-Bit Windows</title>

  <para>
   PostgreSQL will only build for the x64 architecture on 64-bit Windows, there
   is no support for Itanium processors.
  </para>

I think we can drop mention of Itanium (RIP): the ancient versions of
Windows that could run on that arch are desupported with your patch.
It might be more relevant to say that we can't yet run on ARM, and
Windows 11 is untested by us, but let's fix those problems instead of
documenting them :-)

Is the mention of "64-Bit" in that title sounds a little anachronistic
to me (isn't that the norm now?) but I'm not sure what to suggest.

There are more mentions of older Windows releases near the compiler
stuff but perhaps your MSVC version vacuuming work will take care of
those.