Re: FreeBSD 12 and Postgres build failures

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: FreeBSD 12 and Postgres build failures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:41 PM Andrew Gierth
<andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:
> ... (Though the fact that we prefer gcc to cc in
> configure if both are found is a decision that should probably be
> revisited, given that the reasons for that preference are mostly
> consigned to the graveyard of commercial Unix variants.)

+1

I'm not against looking for gcc and g++ if cc and c++ can't be found,
but preferring them (ie implying that some random GCC found on the
path that you didn't explicitly ask for must surely be better than
whatever crap the vendor ships) makes no sense in this day and age.
The silliest case is macOS, where gcc and g++ are found and used but
are in fact... wrappers for clang, for maximum confusion.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com