Re: BUG #17116: Assert failed in SerialSetActiveSerXmin() on commit of parallelized serializable transaction

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: BUG #17116: Assert failed in SerialSetActiveSerXmin() on commit of parallelized serializable transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 9:41 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 5:02 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 9:00 AM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > (Except for read-only-anomaly-3, that causes another
> > > assertion fail but I believe that it's not related to the initial issue
> > > and deserves another bug report.)

The problem is that if we don't take the fast exit here:

    if (XactReadOnly && PredXact->WritableSxactCount == 0)
    {
        ReleasePredXact(sxact);
        LWLockRelease(SerializableXactHashLock);
        return snapshot;
    }

... then we search for writable SSI transactions here:

        for (othersxact = FirstPredXact();
             othersxact != NULL;
             othersxact = NextPredXact(othersxact))
        {
            if (!SxactIsCommitted(othersxact)
                && !SxactIsDoomed(othersxact)
                && !SxactIsReadOnly(othersxact))
            {
                SetPossibleUnsafeConflict(sxact, othersxact);
            }
        }

... but that can find nothing if all writers happen to be doomed.
WritableSxactCount doesn't count read-only or committed transactions
so we don't have to worry about those confusing us, but it does count
doomed transactions.  Having an empty list here is mostly fine, except
that nobody will ever set our RO_SAFE flag, and in the case of
DEFERRABLE, the assertion that someone has set it will fail.  This is
the case since:

===
commit bdaabb9b22caa71021754d3967b4032b194d9880
Author: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi>
Date:   Fri Jul 8 00:36:30 2011 +0300

    There's a small window wherein a transaction is committed but not yet
    on the finished list, and we shouldn't flag it as a potential conflict
    if so. We can also skip adding a doomed transaction to the list of
    possible conflicts because we know it won't commit.

    Dan Ports and Kevin Grittner.
===

I see three fixes:

1.  Check if the list is empty, and if so, set our own
SXACT_FLAG_RO_SAFE.  Then the assertion in GetSafeSnapshot() will
pass, and also non-DEFERRABLE callers will eventually see the flag and
opt out.

2.  Check if the list is empty, and if so, opt out immediately (as we
do when WriteableSxactCount == 0).  This would be strictly better than
#1, because it happens sooner while we still have the lock.  On the
other hand, we'd have to undo more effects, and that involves writing
more fragile and very rarely run code.

3.  Just delete the assertion in GetSafeSnapshot().  This is
attractively simple but it means that READ ONLY non-DEFERRABLE
transactions arbitrarily miss out on the RO_SAFE optimisation in this
(admittedly rare) case.

The attached 0002 has idea #1, which I prefer for back-patching.  I
think #2 might be a good idea if we take the filtering logic further
so that it becomes more likely that you get an empty list (for
example, why don't we skip transactions that are running in a
different database?), but then that'd be new code, not something we
back-patch.  Thoughts?

If someone is wanting to reproduce this case, try removing everything
from isolation_schedule except read-only-anomaly* and
read-write-unique*, and then run something like this while you go out
for lunch.  It should work as far back as 11 (before that, those tests
didn't exist and the isolation tester couldn't run them due to lack of
handling for DEFERRABLE blocking):

rounds=1000
concurrency=100
output=/tmp/junk
for i in `seq $rounds` ; do
  echo "=== round $i ==="
  for c in `seq $concurrency` ; do
    mkdir -p $output/results_${i}_${c}
    (make -C src/test/isolation installcheck \
       EXTRA_REGRESS_OPTS="--dbname=regress_${c}
--outputdir=$output/results_${i}_${c}" || echo FAIL) \
         > junk/out.${i}.${c}.log 2>&1 &
     pids[${c}]=$!
  done
  for c in `seq $concurrency` ; do