Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: [HACKERS] SERIALIZABLE with parallel query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> It applies and builds clean, it passed make world with cassert and TAP
> tests, and I can't see any remaining flaws.  This is true both of just
> the 0001 v16 patch and that with 0002 v16 applied on top of it.

Thanks.  I'd like to commit this soon.

> It would be great if someone with a big test machine could stress test
> and benchmark this versus current production versions.

Hmm.  I can't compare it with current production versions directly
since SERIALIZABLE + parallel query wasn't possible before.  I could
compare it against lower isolation levels or non-parallel query, but
those tests don't seem to tell us anything we don't already know:
SERIALIZABLE slows some stuff down, parallel query speeds some stuff
up. As for stress-testing, most benchmarks are either good for testing
parallelism (TPC-H etc) but don't do any writes, or good for testing
writes (TPC-B etc) but don't do any parallelism.  I'm going to
experiment with the "SIBENCH" approach from the Cahill paper and see
where that leads.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com