Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Cutting support for OpenSSL 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 in 17~?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 11:51 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 30.03.24 22:27, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > Hmm, OK so it doesn't have 3 available in parallel from base repos.
> > But it's also about to reach end of "full support" in 2 months[1], so
> > if we applied the policies we discussed in the LLVM-vacuuming thread
> > (to wit: build farm - EOL'd OSes), then...  One question I'm unclear
> > on is whether v17 will be packaged for RHEL8.
>
> The rest of the thread talks about the end of support of RHEL 7, but you
> are here talking about RHEL 8.   It is true that "full support" for RHEL
> 8 ended in May 2024, but that is the not the one we are tracking.  We
> are tracking the 10-year one, which I suppose is now called "maintenance
> support".

I might have confused myself with the two EOLs and some wishful
thinking.  I am a lot less worked up about this general topic now that
RHEL has moved to "rolling" LLVM updates in minor releases, removing a
physical-pain-inducing 10-year vacuuming horizon (that's 20 LLVM major
releases and they only fix bugs in one...).  I will leave openssl
discussions to those more knowledgeable about that.

> So if the above package list is correct, then we ought to keep
> supporting openssl 1.1.* until 2029.

That's a shame.  But it sounds like the developer burden isn't so
different from 1.1.1 to 3.x, so maybe it's not such a big deal from
our point of view.  (I have no opinion on the security ramifications
of upstream's EOL, but as a layman it sounds completely bonkers to use
it.  I wonder why the packaging community wouldn't just arrange to
have a supported-by-upstream 3.x package in their RPM repo when they
supply the newest PostgreSQL versions for the oldest RHEL, but again
not my area so I'll shut up).