Re: Huge performance penalty with parallel queries in Windows x64 v. Linux x64

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Huge performance penalty with parallel queries in Windows x64 v. Linux x64
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:50 AM Hans Buschmann <buschmann@nidsa.net> wrote:
> (BTW: Is this cost multiplied by the real count of workers choosen (max_parallel_workers_per_gather) or only a value
independentof the number of workers?. This would matter in windows-high-parallel scenarios)

It's not multiplied:

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/50e17ad281b8d1c1b410c9833955bc80fbad4078/src/backend/optimizer/path/costsize.c#L398

It might be interesting to know how that 40ms time scales as you add
more workers.  For what it's worth, I see that the following query
takes around about ~6ms + ~1.5ms per worker on my FreeBSD machine, and
on Linux it's harder to pin down, varying a lot, usually a bit slower
(sorry I didn't have time to do proper statistics).

create table t ();
alter table t set (parallel_workers=8);
set min_parallel_table_scan_size = 0;
set parallel_setup_cost = 0;
set parallel_tuple_cost = 0;

set max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 1;
explain analyze select count(*) from t;

set max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 7;
explain analyze select count(*) from t;

От: Ian Lawrence Barwick
Сообщение: Re: Error creating postgres extensions
От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: Huge performance penalty with parallel queries in Windows x64 v. Linux x64