Re: LLVM 16 (opaque pointers)

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: LLVM 16 (opaque pointers)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 12:02 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 11:12 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > I'm quite sure that jiting did pass on ppc64 at some point.
>
> Yeah, I remember debugging it on EDB's POWER machine.  First off, we
> know that LLVM < 7 doesn't work for us on POWER, because:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D39F_B3Ou8S3OrUw%2BhJEUP3p%3DwCu0ug-TTW67qKN53g3w%40mail.gmail.com
>
> That was fixed:
>
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/a95b0df5eddbe7fa1e9f8fe0b1ff62427e1c0318
>
> So I think that means that we'd first have to go through those animals
> and figure out which ones have older LLVM, and ignore those results --
> they just can't use --with-llvm.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to
> be any clue on the version from the paths used by OpenSUSE.  Mark, do
> you know?

Adding Mark to this subthread.  Concretely, could you please disable
--with-llvm on any of those machines running LLVM < 7?  And report
what version any remaining animals are running?  (It'd be nice if the
build farm logged "$LLVM_CONFIG --version" somewhere.)  One of them
seems to have clang 5 which is a clue -- if the LLVM is also 5 it's
just not going to work, as LLVM is one of those forwards-only projects
that doesn't back-patch fixes like that.