Re: Out of the box, full text search feature suggestion for postgresql

От aa
Тема Re: Out of the box, full text search feature suggestion for postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi Bruce,

As I have mentioned in the initial email, what is currently available in postgresql in regards to full text search, is tailored for NL experts IMO. As an average user you will have to dig a lot to configure your DB and your queries to get some decent speech text results.  And you will have to do these configurations, for every language you will want to support.

I personally spent a couple of weeks trying to set up full text search on a postgres instance, for a couple of different languages, just to realize that is very time consuming and hard to maintain it. So in the end I found proonga, which out of the box, offered me fast full text search support for any language I wanted, including Chinese, Korean and Japanese. I only needed to change my select queries to use their full text search operators  (although pgroonnga support out of the box the use of like and ilike operators)  plus I had to create some proonga indexes on the text fields I wanted to query on. That was it.
They are still missing fuzzy search support and still have to work a bit on stability (especially on huge DBs), but all these are already on their todo list.

So in essence, it took me a couple of weeks of tests and a lot of failures to realize that the postgres existing full text search functionality is too complicated to setup and use, if you want some decent results. With pgroonga I got decent full text search results in a matter of hours, without much changes on my queries.

Thanks,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 11:46 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 10:15:07AM -0500, aa wrote:
> Hello Postgres Team!
>
> First of all, a big THANK YOU for the great work you folks are doing!
>
> The reason I am writing to you is to suggest a feature in future Postgres
> versions, a feature that is partially there but is not quite where it should be
> in my opinion: the full text search functionality. This functionality in my
> opinion, should be available out of the box, for any possible language
> available, including east Asia character based languages. You would probably
> say that this will require a huge amount of work, and I would say, a postgres
> extension which does exactly this, already exists, and it is called : pgroonga
> (https://pgroonga.github.io/

Please explain how this is different from what we already have:

        https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/textsearch.html

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com