Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 12:11, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 1:14 PM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 16:04, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

slots?That might simplify this problem quite a bit?

> > > But don't we need to make it WAL logged as well similar to what we do
> > > in GetNewObjectId?
> >
> > Yes. I was thinking that assigning (the maximum number of the existing
> > slot id + 1) to a new slot without WAL logging.
> >
> > >  I am thinking do we really need Oids for slots or
> > > is it okay to have some approximate stats in boundary cases?
> >
> > I think that using oids has another benefit that we don't need to send
> > slot name to the stats collector along with the stats. Since the
> > maximum size of slot name is NAMEDATALEN and we don't support the
> > pgstat message larger than PGSTAT_MAX_MSG_SIZE (1000 bytes), if the
> > user wants to increase NAMEDATALEN they might not be able to build.
> >

> I think NAMEDATALEN is used for many other objects as well and I don't
> think we want to change it in foreseeable future, so that doesn't
> sound to be a good reason to invent OIDs for slots.  OTOH, I do
> understand it would be better to send OIDs than names for slots but I
> am just not sure if it is a good idea to invent a new way to generate
> OIDs (which is different from how we do it for other objects in the
> system) for this purpose.

I'm concerned that there might be users who are using custom
PostgreSQL that increased NAMEDATALEN for some reason. But indeed, I
also agree with your concerns. So perhaps we can go with the current
PoC patch approach as the first version (i.g., sending slot drop
message to stats collector). When we need such a unique identifier
also for other purposes, we will be able to change this feature so
that it uses that identifier for this statistics reporting purpose.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/