Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 11:19, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> On 2020/07/14 9:08, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:
> >> I've attached the latest version patches. I've incorporated the review
> >> comments I got so far and improved locking strategy.
> >
> > Thanks for updating the patch!
>
> +1
> I'm interested in these patches and now studying them. While checking
> the behaviors of the patched PostgreSQL, I got three comments.

Thank you for testing this patch!

> 1. We can access to the foreign table even during recovery in the HEAD.
> But in the patched version, when I did that, I got the following error.
> Is this intentional?
>
> ERROR:  cannot assign TransactionIds during recovery

No, it should be fixed. I'm going to fix this by not collecting
participants for atomic commit during recovery.

> 2. With the patch, when INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE are executed both in
> local and remote servers, 2PC is executed at the commit phase. But
> when write SQL (e.g., TRUNCATE) except INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE are
> executed in local and INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE are executed in remote,
> 2PC is NOT executed. Is this safe?

Hmm, you're right. I think atomic commit must be used also when the
user executes other write SQLs such as TRUNCATE, COPY, CLUSTER, and
CREATE TABLE on the local node.

> 3. XACT_FLAGS_WROTENONTEMPREL is set when INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
> are executed. But it's not reset even when those queries are canceled by
> ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT. This may cause unnecessary 2PC at the commit phase.

Will fix.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/