Re: Internal key management system

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 0:35 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:42:36PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 22:00, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 06:32:57PM +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > > On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 15:59, Masahiko Sawada
> > >
> > > Or we can simply generate a different encryption key for block
> > > encryption. Therefore we will end up with having two encryption keys
> > > inside database. Maybe we can discuss this after the key manager has
> > > been introduced.
> >
> > I know Sehrope liked derived keys so let's get his feedback on this.  We
> > might want to have two keys anyway for key rotation purposes.
> >

> Agreed. Maybe we can derive a key for the use of wrap and unwrap SQL
> interface by like HKDF(MK, 'USER_KEY:') or HKDF(KM, 'USER_KEY:' ||
> system_identifier).

Well, the issue is if the user can control the user key, there is might be
a way to make the user key do nothing.

Well I meant ‘USER_KEY:’ is a fixed length string for the key used for wrap and unwrap SQL interface functions. So user cannot control it. We will have another key derived by, for example, HKDF(MK, ‘TDE_KEY:’ || system_identifier) for block encryption.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Сообщение: Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray
Сообщение: Re: proposal: new polymorphic types - commontype and commontypearray