Re: Some problems of recovery conflict wait events

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Some problems of recovery conflict wait events
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 13:24, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

> On 2020/03/08 13:52, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> >> Yeah, you're right. I agree that "waiting" should be reported in this case.
> >>
> >> Currently ResolveRecoveryConflictWithLock() and
> >> ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin() don't call
> >> ResolveRecoveryConflictWithVirtualXIDs and don't report "waiting"
> >> in PS display. You changed them so that they report "waiting". I agree
> >> to have this change. But this change is an improvement rather than
> >> a bug fix, i.e., we should apply this change only in v13?
> >>

> > Did you mean ResolveRecoveryConflictWithDatabase and
> > ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin?
>
> Yes! Sorry for my typo.
>
> > In the current code as far as I
> > researched there are two cases where we don't add "waiting" and one
> > case where we doubly add "waiting".
> >
> > ResolveRecoveryConflictWithDatabase and
> > ResolveRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin don't update the ps title.
> > Although the path where GetCurrentTimestamp() >= ltime is false in
> > ResolveRecoveryConflictWithLock also doesn't update the ps title, it's
> > already updated in WaitOnLock. On the other hand, the path where
> > GetCurrentTimestamp() >= ltime is true in
> > ResolveRecoveryConflictWithLock updates the ps title but it's wrong as
> > I reported.
> >
> > I've split the patch into two patches: 0001 patch fixes the issue
> > about doubly updating ps title, 0002 patch makes the recovery conflict
> > resolution on database and buffer pin update the ps title.
>
> Thanks for splitting the patches. I think that 0001 patch can be back-patched.
>
> -                       /*
> -                        * Report via ps if we have been waiting for more than 500 msec
> -                        * (should that be configurable?)
> -                        */
> -                       if (update_process_title && new_status == NULL &&
> -                               TimestampDifferenceExceeds(waitStart, GetCurrentTimestamp(),
> -                                                                                  500))
>
> Originally, "waiting" is reported in PS if we've been waiting for more than
> 500 msec, as the above does. But you got rid of those codes in the patch.
> Did you confirm that it's safe to do that? If not, isn't it better to apply
> the attached patch?

In WaitOnLock() we update the ps title regardless of waiting time. So
I thought we can change it to make these behavior consistent. But
considering back-patch, your patch looks better than mine.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/