Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 03:08, Muhammad Usama <m.usama@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sawada,
>
> I have just done some review and testing of the patches and have
> a couple of comments.

Thank you for reviewing!

> 1- IMHO the PREPARE TRANSACTION should always use 2PC even
> when the transaction has operated on a single foreign server regardless
> of foreign_twophase_commit setting, and throw an error otherwise when
> 2PC is not available on any of the data-modified servers.
>
> For example, consider the case
>
> BEGIN;
> INSERT INTO ft_2pc_1 VALUES(1);
> PREPARE TRANSACTION 'global_x1';
>
> Here since we are preparing the local transaction so we should also prepare
> the transaction on the foreign server even if the transaction has modified only
> one foreign table.
>
> What do you think?

Good catch and I agree with you. The transaction should fail if it
opened a transaction on a 2pc-no-support server regardless of
foreign_twophase_commit. And I think we should prepare a transaction
on a foreign server even if it didn't modify any data on that.

> Also without this change, the above test case produces an assertion failure
> with your patches.
>
> 2- when deciding if the two-phase commit is required or not in
> FOREIGN_TWOPHASE_COMMIT_PREFER mode we should use
> 2PC when we have at least one server capable of doing that.
>
> i.e
>
> For FOREIGN_TWOPHASE_COMMIT_PREFER case in
> checkForeignTwophaseCommitRequired() function I think
> the condition should be
>
> need_twophase_commit = (nserverstwophase >= 1);
> instead of
> need_twophase_commit = (nserverstwophase >= 2);

Hmm I might be missing your point but it seems to me that you want to
use two-phase commit even in the case where a transaction modified
data on only one server. Can't we commit distributed transaction
atomically even using one-phase commit in that case?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/