Re: Error when pasting function blocks into psql

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: Error when pasting function blocks into psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Ludwig:

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 12:37, Ludwig Isaac Lim <ludz_lim@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed that I'm getting errors when copy and pasting code for stored procedure from Windows directly into psql
runningin putty.

> To reproduce create a procedure that has multiple statements with each statements having multiple lines, similar to
theones below:

> Copy and paste from Windows editor (or IDE) to a psql running in a Putty. Chances are it will complain of syntax
error.The error doesn't appear when I copy and paste it to an empty file in vim, and the run:

> psql -f <file name>
> Is there a way of prevent this kind of error when pasting directly into psql? I'm using the latest version of
PostgreSQL(server and client. Version 14.4)

You omitted the OS version which is running psql/vim, I assume it is
some king of *ix, probably linux, and which kind of paste you are
using in putty, IIRC it has a couple.

Probably you are sending extra spaces or \015 or something like that
which vim filters for you on save. You can probably confirm these by
pasting your lines into "cat > file" ( remember EOF ing after paste,
enter+^D is the usual way ) and trying to feed that file to psql.

Not having used windows or vim in 20 years I can only think on one
thing to help you with these kind of problems. You'll probably have od
(octal dump) installed. Try pasting the code to 'od -tx1 -tc' which
will give you a nice dump from where you can see if your
IDE/EDITOR/putty is plain nasty tricks ( if you tried pasting into cat
you can cat that file and the one from vim ).

Francisco Olarte.

От: Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Сообщение: Re: postgresql bug
От: Sunil Thakur
Сообщение: Re: CPU is 100% azure rds postgreSQL-11