Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> In defense of Corey's position, that's not so easy.  First, \0 doesn't
> work; our strings can't include null bytes.  Second, the minimum legal
> character depends on the collation in use.  It's not so easy to figure
> out what the "next" string is, even though there necessarily must be
> one.

I'm aware of that, just wanted to point that it can be done on strings.

> I think we're all in agreement that half-open intervals should not
> only be allowed, but the default.  The question is whether it's a good
> idea to also allow other possibilities.

In my experience, people continuously misuse them. I would specially
like to have them disallowed on timestamp columns ( and other
real-like data, including numeric ). But knowing they cannot do a few
things, and some others are easier with them is enough for allowing
them as an explicit non default for me.

Francisco Olarte.