Re: [GENERAL] PSQL command line print speed

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PSQL command line print speed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Adrian:

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 05/17/2017 09:46 AM, Adrian Myers wrote:
>> Ah I should have mentioned, the pager is off.
> Is that by choice and if so why?
>
> With the pager off you have to wait for the entire output to write to the
> screen. For anything but a small dataset that is going to take time.

Are you sure? IIRC hespecifically said the output started promptly but
was slow, i.e. speed, not latency problems as your are hinting.

And, IIRC again, psql uses libpq which always buffer the entire
response to the queries.

And nothing prohibits you from starting the output as soon as you can
calculate it even if no pager there ( note you have to make things
like calculate column widths, but this is done with and without pager
). In fact normally the pager will just introduce an small but
potentially noticeable delay.

Francisco Olarte.