Re: Select "todays" timestamps in an index friendly way

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: Select "todays" timestamps in an index friendly way
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Lutz Horn <lutz.horn@posteo.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 03:50:14PM +0200, Francisco Olarte wrote:
>> It'is not as the problem was stated. Although ts defaulted to now(),
>> and it is probably defaulted, nothing prohibits him from inserting
>> timestamps in the future.
> Yes, this table is only used as an example for the technical question.
> In my real use case there are columns like "due_date" which usually
> contain future dates inserted by application code.

If your real table uses dates instead of timestamps modify the code
accordingly, they are not the same ( dates are countable, instants in
time are not (they are in the computer, with finite precision, but you
see the difference )) Although I supose they really are timestamps, or
you would have just used "date_column=current_date".

>> the  "timestamps in today" pattern is commonly used in calendaring
>> applications, which usually insert appointments in the future and
>> recover this way to print "todays schedule".
> Exactly. The application must be able to execute queries like "give me
> all my tasks due today" without having to use a concrete value for
> "today".

Been there, done that. With an IBM 84 ( instructional use. It was, not
surprissingly, easier but slower,  ).

Happy hacking.
   Francisco Olarte.