Re: Script which shows performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: Script which shows performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary
Дата
Re: Script which shows performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary  (Thomas Güttler <guettliml@thomas-guettler.de>)
Re: Script which shows performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
Список pgsql-general
Thomas:

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Thomas Güttler
<guettliml@thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
> Thank you for asking several times for a benchmark.
> I wrote it now and it is visible: inserting random bytes into bytea is much slower,
> if you use the psycopg2 defaults.
> Here is the chart:
>    https://github.com/guettli/misc/blob/master/bench-bytea-inserts-postrgres.png
> And here is the script which creates the chart:
>    https://github.com/guettli/misc/blob/master/bench-bytea-inserts-postrgres.py

I'm not too sure, but I read ( in the code ) you are measuring a
nearly not compressible urandom data againtst a highly compressible (
'x'*i ) data,
are you sure the difference is not due to data being compressed and
generating much less disk usage in toast-tables/wal?

Francisco Olarte.