Re: [EXTERNAL]: Re: UPSERT in Postgres

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: [EXTERNAL]: Re: UPSERT in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(not the OP on idempotency)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 at 18:33, Louis Tian <louis.tian@aquamonix.com.au> wrote:
> > In general UPSERT (or any definition of it that I can think of) does
> > not imply idempotency.
> "Idempotence is the property of certain operations in mathematics and computer science whereby they can be applied
multipletimes without changing the result beyond the initial application." from Wikipedia.

> the concept of Idempotence when applies to HTTP is consistent with the above.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Glossary/Idempotent.Or are you going by a different defintion that I am not
awareof?

> If you execute the same upsert multiple times, the state of the database remains the same as if only execute once.
> If a row already exists, the first statement will update the row so does any subsequent statements. executing the
sameupdate multiple time is the same as executing it only once.

> If the row doesn't exist, the first statement will insert that row and any subsequent will try to update, but the
updatehas no real effect since it the value is exactly the same as the insert.

> So by defintion, upsert is idempotent.

Only on a narrow definition of upsert.

You are thinking on a narrow ( but very frequent ) use of "upsert"
statements, something like:

    insert on users(id,name) values (1,'x') on conflict(id) update set name='x'

But upsert can be used for things like:

   insert into last_access(id,cuando) values (1,current_timestamp) on
conflict(id) set cuando=current_timestamp

   insert into access_count(id, access_count) values (1,1) on
conflict(id) set access_count=access_count+1

Which are not idempotent ( and also frequent, I use both variants )

Francisco Olarte.

От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: [EXTERNAL]: Re: UPSERT in Postgres
От: Atul Kumar
Сообщение: Replicate data from one standby server to another standby