Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Benedict:

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 3:11 PM Benedict Holland
<benedict.m.holland@gmail.com> wrote:
> MySQL isn't ACID.

Are you sure of that? I mean, I stopped using it in the late nineties,
and it only had MyISAM then, certainly not ACID, but my understanding
is it's got some ACID storage backends and options ( I seem to recall
InnoDB is one of them, and last thing I know is it did ACID DML but
had problems with DDL ).

Don't get me wrong, I prefer postgres too, I think it is easier and
nicer, but MySql has gone a long way and is not that bad ( as "not
acid" ).

> Postgresql is a full-featured database that doesn't allow injection.

Also, regarding this, it seems to hint at "injections are mysql fault"
and "you are safe from injections using Pg". Databases do not allow or
disallow (SQL) injection. It's the app code which does it. I can write
code with and without injections which works equally well, or bad, in
both engines. Nearly anyone can.

> Basically, you just asked a bunch of people who have used  PostgreSQL over MySQL why PostgerSQL is better. It is just
better.The only time that MySQL might be better is if you have a very simple website and you want a SQL backend. For
anythingelse, PostgreSQL is infinitely better.

No, it's not. I use postgres for a lot of things, and some of them are
only done in this over mysql because I have postgresql servers
installed and I am familiar with it and the volume is not that high
that switching to mysql justifies the learning cost. And it would
probably be the other way round if I were a mysql guy.

And, not knowing too much about the OP detailed requirements, I would
recommend Pg for them because I know it can do the things he seem to
want, and I am not sure about mysql. I am nearly sure it can do them,
but I cannot assert it.

Pg is really good, but not a panacea.

Francisco Olarte.

От: Benedict Holland
Сообщение: Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL logical replication slot LSN values