Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Feature Suggestions

От Atira Odhner
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Feature Suggestions
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Great! Thanks Dave. We're having a look to see what seems feasible implementation-wise.

Tira

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:33 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Raffi Holzer <rholzer@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> For those who don't know, Pivotal Labs is working with Greenplum to make
> pgAdmin 4 compatible with Greenplum. In addition to that, we have also been
> conducting user research and figuring out ways in which the user experience
> of pgAdmin might be improved. Below are a few of the ideas we are thinking
> about. Would love to get your feedback.
>

> Select a column in query output
>
> From our research, we saw that users need to be able to transfer their query
> output to a text editor or some other program to share with their
> colleagues. This is one feature that would enable them to quickly do so.
>
> Drag and select should work in query results
>
> Because most programs enable users to drag and highlight a selection of text
> to copy and paste, they expect to be able to do so here as well.
>
> Output selection modified by Shift+direction keyboard shortcuts
>
> From our research, we saw that users tend to use keyboard shortcuts when
> typing or selecting items. Because this is a feature available in most other
> apps, the expectation is that it would be in pgAdmin as well.

I think all of those are perfectly reasonable suggestions and cannot
see why they cannot be added to Redmine as feature requests
immediately. I can't imagine anyone would object to them - and there's
little to discuss in terms of design.

On the implementation side however, there is the question of how we do
this. Ideally I suspect these would need to be updates or plugins to
SlickGrid, that we can then pull back from upstream. Unless it's
absolutely essential, we should not modify the code we pull in from
other projects. What we could perhaps do, is update the code we have,
implement the changes, then submit them back upstream, finally merging
them back when upstream next release.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com