Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Gabriele Bartolini
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Greg,

On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 19:10, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids@gmail.com> wrote:
Seems to be some resistance to getting this in core, so why not just use an extension? I was able to create a quick POC to do just that. Hook into PG and look for AlterSystemStmt, throw a "Sorry, ALTER SYSTEM is not currently allowed" error. Put into shared_preload_libraries and you're done. As a bonus, works on all supported versions, so no need to wait for Postgres 17 - or Postgres 18/19 given the feature drift this thread is experiencing :)

As much as I would like to see your extension, I would still like to understand why Postgres itself shouldn't solve this basic requirement coming from the configuration management driven/Kubernetes space. It shouldn't be a big deal to have such an option, either as a startup one or a GUC, should it?

Thanks,
Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini