Re: Deprecating RULES

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Deprecating RULES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12 October 2012 17:59, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> I don't think you're listening, none of those things are problems and
>> so not user hostile.
>
> Having an upgrade fail for mysterious reasons with a cryptic error
> message the user doesn't understand isn't user-hostile?  Wow, you must
> have a very understanding group of users.

I think its sad we can't even attempt a technical conversation without
you making snide ad hominem attacks that aren't even close to being
true on a personal level, nor accurate in a technical sense.

Your argument applies to any and all deprecations, not just the one
proposed. And it still applies to the deprecation schedule you
outlined, since upgrades aren't always across consecutive releases.
I'm the wrong person to lecture about upgrade incompatibility problems
since I've spoken out against them for years.

This style of debate makes it impossible to get new ideas across and
holds us all back.