Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4 December 2012 20:38, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> Even if it is, I would
> think that a sufficiently narrow case -- such as CTAS outside of a
> transaction block -- would be safe

CTAS would be safe to do that with. CLUSTER and VACUUM FULL are already done.

Outside of a transaction block would be automatic.

Inside of a transaction block we could use a parameter called
initially_frozen. This would act same as FREEZE on COPY. Parameter
would not be recorded into the reloptions field on pg_class, since it
is a one-time option and has no meaning after end of xact.

> along with some slightly broader
> cases (like BEGIN; CREATE TABLE; INSERT/COPY).

Historically we've chosen not to allow bulk insert options on INSERT,
so that is a separate discussion.