Re: CLOG contention, part 2

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: CLOG contention, part 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Ants Aasma <ants.aasma@eesti.ee> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2012 1:27 AM, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
>
>> However, there is a potential fly in the ointment: in other cases in
>> which we've reduced contention at the LWLock layer, we've ended up
>> with very nasty contention at the spinlock layer that can sometimes
>> eat more CPU time than the LWLock contention did.   In that light, it
>> strikes me that it would be nice to be able to partition the
>> contention N ways rather than just 2 ways.  I think we could do that
>> as follows.  Instead of having one control lock per SLRU, have N
>> locks, where N is probably a power of 2.  Divide the buffer pool for
>> the SLRU N ways, and decree that each slice of the buffer pool is
>> controlled by one of the N locks.  Route all requests for a page P to
>> slice P mod N.  Unlike this approach, that wouldn't completely
>> eliminate contention at the LWLock level, but it would reduce it
>> proportional to the number of partitions, and it would reduce spinlock
>> contention according to the number of partitions as well.  A down side
>> is that you'll need more buffers to get the same hit rate, but this
>> proposal has the same problem: it doubles the amount of memory
>> allocated for CLOG.
>
> Splitting the SLRU into different parts is exactly the same approach as
> associativity used in CPU caches. I found some numbers that analyze cache
> hit rate with different associativities:

My suggested approach is essentially identical approach to the one we
already use for partitioning the buffer cache and lock manager. I
expect it to be equally effective at reducing contention.

There is little danger of all hitting same partition at once, since
there are many xids and they are served out sequentially. In the lock
manager case we use the relid as key, so there is some skewing.