Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Joshua Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> So, we have four potential paths regarding recovery.conf:
>
> 1) Break backwards compatibility entirely, and stop supporting recovery.conf as a trigger file at all.

Note that is exactly what I have suggested when using "standby" mode
from pg_ctl.

But you already know that, since you said "If it's possible to run a
replica without having a recovery.conf file,
then I'm fine with your solution", and I already confirmed back to you
that would be possible.

> 2) Offer backwards compatibility only if "recovery_conf='filename'" is set in postgresql.conf, then behave like
Simon'scompromise.

> 3) Simon's compromise.

See above. Calling it a compromise in this way implies nobody has been
given exactly what they ask for, but that is not the case.

> 4) Don't ever change how recovery.conf works.
>
> The only two of the above I see as being real options are (1) and (2).  (3) would, as Robert points out, cause DBAs
tohave unpleasant surprises when some third-party tool creates a recovery.conf they weren't expecting. So:

Please read my proposal again. I'll be happy to answer questions if
you have any.

От: Robert Treat
Сообщение: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
От: Scott Mead
Сообщение: Re: IDLE in transaction introspection