Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 20.09.2011 10:48, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Fujii Masao<masao.fujii@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> I like this idea to simplify the code. How much performance gain can we
>>> expect by this patch?
>>
>> On heavily I/O bound systems, this is likely to make a noticeable
>> difference, since bgwriter reduces I/O in user processes.
>
> Hmm. If the system is I/O bound, it doesn't matter which process performs
> the I/O. It's still the same amount of I/O in total, and in an I/O bound
> system, that's what determines the overall throughput.

That's true, but not relevant.

The bgwriter avoids I/O, if it is operating correctly. This patch
ensures it continues to operate even during heavy checkpoints. So it
helps avoid extra I/O during a period of very high I/O activity.

Сообщение: Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer
Сообщение: Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer