Re: Spreading full-page writes

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Spreading full-page writes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 27 May 2014 07:42, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

>>> partition. You would have to start recovery from the oldest checkpoint of
>>> any of the partitions.
>>
>> Yeah. Simon suggested that when we talked about this, but I didn't understand how that works at the time. I think I
donow. The key to making it work is distinguishing, when starting recovery from the latest checkpoint, whether a record
fora given page can be replayed safely. I used flags on WAL records in my proposal to achieve this, but using buffer
partitionsis simpler.

> Interesting. I just thought of it independently.

Actually, I heard it from Doug Tolbert in 2005, based on how another
DBMS coped with that issue.