Re: Freezing without write I/O

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Freezing without write I/O
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1 June 2013 21:26, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> If we set a bit, surely we need to write the page. Isn't that what we
>> were trying to avoid?
>
> No, the bit only gets set in situations when we were going to dirty
> the page for some other reason anyway.  Specifically, if a page
> modification discovers that we've switched epochs (but just once) and
> the bit isn't already set, we can set it in lieu of scanning the
> entire page for tuples that need freezing.
>
> Under this proposal, pages that don't contain any dead tuples needn't
> be dirtied for freezing, ever.  Smells like awesome.

Agreed, well done both.

What I especially like about it is how little logic it will require,
and no page format changes.

--Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum, Freeze and Analyze: the big picture
От: Soroosh Sardari
Сообщение: Re: Which table stored in which file in PGDATA/base/[db-oid]