Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Checkpointer starts before bgwriter to avoid missing fsync reque

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Checkpointer starts before bgwriter to avoid missing fsync reque
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1 June 2012 08:55, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 01.06.2012 10:28, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Checkpointer starts before bgwriter to avoid missing fsync requests.
>> Noted while testing Hot Standby startup.
>

> The processes are just forked and it will take some time for them to
> initialize. Isn't there still a race condition, where the bgwriter starts up
> first, and you still miss fsync requests?

Possibly...

How do we handle that same situation if the check pointer crashes? And
if normal backends can't send? We don't seem that tense about that
either.

How hard do we need to try to avoid this potential hole? I'm not sure,
so opinions please.