Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6
Дата
Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 22 April 2014 00:24, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2014 03:41 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Storage Efficiency
>> * Compression
>> * Column Orientation
>
> You might look at turning this:
>
> http://citusdata.github.io/cstore_fdw/
>
> ... into a more integrated part of Postgres.

Of course I'm aware of that work - credit to them. Certainly, many
people feel that it is now time to do as you suggest and include
column store features within PostgreSQL.

As to turning it into a more integrated part of Postgres, we have a
few problems there

1. cstore_fdw code has an incompatible licence

2. I don't think FDWs are the right place for complex new
architectures such as column store, massively parallel processing or
sharding. The fact that it is probably the best place to implement it
in user space doesn't mean it transfers well into core code. That's a
shame and I don't know what to do about it, because it would be nice
to simply ask for change of licence and then integrate it, but it
seems more work than that (to me).

cstore_fdw uses ORC, which interestingly stores "lightweight index"
values that look exactly like MinMax indexes, so at least PostgreSQL
shoiuld be getting that soon.