Re: Hash twice

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Hash twice
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 14 January 2013 19:12, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Lock code says it calculates "hash value once and then pass around as needed".
>>
>> But it actually calculates it twice for new locks.
>>
>> Trivial patch attached to make it follow the comments in
>> LockTagHashCode and save a few cycles.
>
> Hmm.  This is a nice idea, but it doesn't look right to me, because
> you're searching LockMethodLocalHash with a hash code intended to be
> used in LockMethodLockHash, and the two hashing schemes are not
> compatible, because the former is hashing a LOCALLOCKTAG, and the
> latter is hashing a LOCKTAG, and both are just using tag_hash.

You're right. At local level we need to refcount requests, whereas we
only ever pass first request through to main table. That means the
unique key is different.

> On the flip side if I'm wrong and the hashing schemes are compatible,
> there are other places in the file where the same trick could be
> employed.

But having said that, we already make ProcLockHash use a variation of
the LockHash to avoid recalculation.

So we should just make    LocalLockTagHashCode = LockTagHashCode() + mode;

Then we can use LockTagHashCode everywhere, which is easier to do than
documenting why we don't.

Anyway, just an idle thought while looking into something else.