Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 23 April 2014 09:26, David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> I propose we add a single table called Postgres when we Initdb
>>
>>   CREATE TABLE Postgres (Id Integer, Data Jsonb);
>>   COMMENT ON TABLE Postgres IS 'Single table for quick start usage -
>> design your database';
>>
>> The purpose of this is to make the database immediately usable. By
>> including this table in the default  initdb it will mean that programs
>> can rely on the existence of this table and begin working quicker.
>>

> I'm not quite sure it would serve the same purpose as to what you're
> proposing here, but for a long time I've thought that it would be nice if
> PostgreSQL came with an example database that had a number of tables,
> perhaps that mock up some easy to relate to real-world application. These
> would be very useful to use as examples in the documents instead of
> inventing them in the ad-hoc way that we currently do. Like here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/tutorial-window.html

+1 to the idea of an example database, used throughout the docs

Sounds like a summer of code project.

Since we don't have that now, it won't work for 9.4.

I still like the idea of a database installed by default on initdb, by
default. Packagers can of course do what they like.