Re: getting rid of freezing

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: getting rid of freezing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 28 May 2013 15:15, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> I think the right way is actually to rethink and simplify all this
>> complexity of Freezing/Pruning/Hinting/Visibility
>
> I agree, but I think that's likely to have to wait until we get a
> pluggable storage API, and then a few years beyond that for someone to
> develop the technology to enable the new and better way.  In the
> meantime, if we can eliminate or even reduce the impact of freezing in
> the near term, I think that's worth doing.

I think we can do better more quickly than that.

Andres' basic idea of skipping freeze completely was a valuable one
and is the right way forwards. And it looks like the epoch based
approach that Heikki and I have come up seems likely to end up
somewhere workable.

--Simon Riggs                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services