Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Add CREATE support to event triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 January 2014 17:07, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know that I agree with that, but I guess we can cross that
>>> bridge when we come to it.
>>
>> We've come to it...
>>
>> You would prefer either everything or nothing?? On what grounds?
>
> I hardly think I need to justify that position.

Yeh, you do. Everybody does.

> That's project policy
> and always has been.  When somebody implements 50% of a feature, or
> worse yet 95% of a feature, it violates the POLA for users and doesn't
> always subsequently get completed, leaving us with long-term warts
> that are hard to eliminate.

So why was project policy violated when we released 9.3 with only DROP
event support? Surely that was a worse violation of POLA than my
suggestion?

It's not reasonable to do something yourself and then object when
others suggest doing the same thing.

After 3 years we need something useful. I think the "perfect being the
enemy of the good" argument applies here after this length of time.