Re: Override PostgreSQL internal functions

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Override PostgreSQL internal functions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On 27 February 2014 01:42, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@dalibo.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 03:03 PM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@dalibo.com> wrote:
>>
>> You would be much better off to use the citext extension and typing your
>> columns appropriately.
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/citext.html
>

> That might be a huge effort while migrating from another database and might
> also introduce application level changes for type casting.
>

> Not nearly as much effort as what you're trying to do, but good luck.
>
> David's solution is what I would have suggested had he not said it already.

David's solution seems to be the right solution for general schema override.

Vik's comments about using citext seem good for the specific case
mentioned. Using citext has all the same issues as overriding existing
operators, so its better to use something that works than something
home-grown.