Re: Tsearch2 - bad performance with concatenated ts-vectors

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Tsearch2 - bad performance with concatenated ts-vectors
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
separatelyand to make 'OR' comparison between single vector @@ ts_query checks,
> but it didn't help very much (performance was better, but still over 20 sec):
> (participant.participant_tsv @@ to_tsquery('simple',to_tsquerystring('Abigail'))) OR (person.person_tsv @@
to_tsquery('simple',to_tsquerystring('Abigail')))

> Is there a way to make this work with better performance? Or is it necessary to create a single vector that contains
datafrom multiple tables and then add an index on it? It would be so far problematic for us,
> because we are using multiple complex queries with variable number of selected columns. I know that another solution
mightbe an union among multiple queries, every of which uses a single vector,
> but this solution is inconvenient too.

Only something of the form 'indexed-column indexable-operator value'
is going to be indexable.  So when you concatenate two columns from
different tables - as you say - not indexable.

In general, OR-based conditions that cross table boundaries tend to be
expensive, because they have to be applied only after performing the
join.  You can't know for sure looking only at a row from one table
whether or not it will be needed, so you have to join them all and
then filter the results.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Venkat Balaji
Сообщение: Re: : PG9.0 - Checkpoint tuning and pg_stat_bgwriter
От: Merlin Moncure
Сообщение: Re: Choosing between Intel 320, Intel 510 or OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for db server