Re: keepliaves etc. as environment variables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: keepliaves etc. as environment variables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 8:59 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> > On 2021-12-03 10:28:34 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> >> It seems there are no environment variables corresponding to keepalives
> >> etc. connection parameters in libpq. Is there any reason for this?
> >
> > PGOPTIONS='-c tcp_keepalive_*=foo' should work.
>
> Sorry I was not clear. I wanted to know why there are no specific
> environment variable for keepalives etc. like PGCONNECT_TIMEOUT.

In theory we could have an environment variable for every connection
parameter, but there's some cost to that. For example, if some program
wants to sanitize the environment of all PG-related environment
variables, it has more to do. It seems reasonable to me to have
environment variables only for the most important connection
parameters, rather than all of them. I would argue we've overdone it
already.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com