Re: [DOCS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [DOCS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)
Дата
Ответ на Re: [DOCS] Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> writes:
>>> How about adding URL's for the online versions of HISTORY & README's (or
>>> their rough equivalents - perhaps the online version of the latest
>>> 'Appendix E. Release Notes' would be sufficient?) to the INSTALL file?
>
>> Actually, what I had in mind was to replace the dynamically-generated
>> HISTORY and README files with small text files that contain those
>> URL references.
>
> Here's a proposed patch against HEAD for this.  It also gets rid of some
> rather quaint instructions for using Netscape to construct these files ;-)
>
> Barring objection, I'd like to update all the live branches this way
> before the upcoming releases.  I'm tired of having to worry about
> whether the release notes will build as plain text; but that worry
> won't go away unless we nuke the text output in all the branches.

Sounds OK to me.  If there's as many as two people using those files,
I'll be surprised.  (Of course, I've been surprised before.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company